- 1 small baguette
- Oil to brush (olive oil)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Cut into rounds on angle appropriately 1cm thick.
3. Brush croutes with oil and place on the tray.
4. Toast in the preheated oven until golden in colour.
- 250gm soft unsalted butter
- 4x nori sheets
- 1x tsp miso paste
- Juice of a lemon
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place nori sheets in over until toasted (around 10 mins) keep an eye on them so as not to burn.
3. Smash nori in mortar and pestle until fine.
4. Place butter in a food processor or kitchen mixer and whip until butter goes white, scraping down the sides as you go.
5. Add miso paste, lemon juice, and nori dust and fold through.
6. Roll butter into greaseproof paper or glad-wrap and place in the fridge to set.
The flat iron steak comes from the top blade, which sits around a seam of gristle. Silver Fern Farms Flat-Irons have had the long muscle on top of the gristle expertly removed.
1. Make sure meat is at room temperature before cooking, this helps provide more flavours.
2. Preheat pan until very hot.
3. Add oil, once oil is hot enough, season steak with salt, and add to the pan.
4. Cook for approximately 4 mins each side.
- 1 leek
1. Deep fryer or small pot of canola oil at 180 degrees.
2. Remove woody tops of leek.
3. Cut the leek in half and then into 3cm lengths.
4. Once cut, cook in small batches until the leek is golden, place on a clean cloth to stock up excess oil.
Note; Make sure leek is washed well as it may contain dirt within the fold and dry well.
Blackened Garlic Aioli:
- 1/2 small clove garlic
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 285ml olive oil
- 50gm blackened garlic
- lemon juice to taste
1. Roughly chop garlic till fine course, then using the back of the knife to smash to form a paste.
2. In a metal bowl whisk the egg yolk, mustard, Garlic paste until fully combined.
3. Slowly drizzle olive oil whisking constantly until fully combined.
4. Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
5. Cover with glad wrap and refrigerate until use.
Bringing all the elements together:
1. Take the pan off the heat from cooking steak.
2. Add 100gm of washed spinach, add around 5gm of nori butter and cook spinach until soft.
3. Once soft, place on a towel to remove any excess moisture.
4. Divide spinach between toasted croutes.
5. Slice iron steak into 3mm slices and place on top of the spinach.
6. Then with a teaspoon or piping bag add a 1/2 teaspoon blackened garlic aioli.
7. Finish with crispy leek and micro herb garnish.